How do you bring together two companies on Office 365?
In June 2017 WPP announced that two of GroupM’s leading global networks, MEC and Maxus, would merge to form a brand new media, content and technology agency – Wavemaker.
Wavemaker brings together the best of both MEC and Maxus agencies; offering media, content, and technology experts all under one roof. Where this new agency offers huge potential gains for customers, its merger also presented an operational challenge to WPP in its size and geographical spread. Wavemaker’s 8,500 employees are made up of 6,000 staff from MEC, 2,500 staff from Maxus, spread across 90 countries and 139 offices. Across these organisations and locations, different ways of working with customers and delivering projects could be found. Wavemaker would need to feel and operate like one company.
David Kaganovsky, CTO at Wavemaker remarked, “the bringing together of two sizable agencies posed an operational challenge to the team, but also presented a huge opportunity for us to standardise our ways of working, to drive greater efficiency and productivity for our customers. We wanted to do this on Office 365, our corporate platform. We also wanted to move our employees off file shares and in to OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Teams.”
AddIn365 are the recommended Office 365 productivity partner within WPP, by the WPP IT operating company, Coretech. Wavemaker selected AddIn365 as their Office 365 delivery partner to:
- Deliver an Office 365 experience that would simplify the 10 productivity services, including SharePoint, OneDrive and Microsoft Teams, for employees.
- Bring consistency to how Wavemaker use Office 365 to work; to pitch and deliver customer projects.
- On-board employees to Office 365 so that they are comfortable with Office 365 services and confident in using them.
- Move documents from file shares to OneDrive for Business.
AddIn365 provided Wavemaker with AddIn Work Hub, which provides staff a fully personalised dashboard to facilitate working across Office 365’s OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams and Delve. AddIn Work Hub provides an easy to use experience for work that is done both independently and more collaboratively by employees.
AddIn365 also provided Wavemaker with a proprietary on-boarding methodology to bring different working groups on to the platform; standardising how the Office 365 services are used between teams and giving individuals the know-how and therefore the confidence to use Office 365. As part of this on-boarding, files were moved in to OneDrive from file shares.
AddIn365 upskilled the internal Wavemaker team to onboard employees, so that more employees could be onboarded simultaneously and Wavemaker have the framework to roll-out productivity services going forward.
Wavemaker and AddIn365 have been onboarding different employee cohorts over two week periods. This has allowed for employee groups to undertake tasks between onboarding sessions. Since the start of the roll-out, Wavemaker have had a number of successes:
- Employees have on average used AddIn Work Hub 4 times a day to step in to the right Office 365 service to do their work, demonstrating that Work Hub has simplified the Office 365 experience. The main reason to visit Work Hub has been to help employees get to relevant and personally useful information quickly across Office 365, in order to complete a task.
- Microsoft Teams have been set up consistently between cohorts, standardising how Wavemaker employees are working together when engaging with customers and delivering projects.
- OneDrive, SharePoint Groups, SharePoint Communications Sites and Teams have been used on average 80 times a month by each on-boarded employee, demonstrating that the onboarding methodology has been successful in helping employees feel comfortable and confident with Office 365.
- OneDrive has been adopted by 100% of employees, who are co-authoring, sharing and actively using version control for their content creation.
- 2/3 of employees have used content within SharePoint Communications Sites 50-75 times a month each, to help them follow operating standards and guidelines when they work.
- Microsoft Teams have replaced email as the primary collaboration tool within the groups that have been on-boarded, with 44% of all activity being in and around Teams channels and files.
- Documents have been moved in to OneDrive as part of on-boarding.
- Delve search has been utilised daily via Work Hub by employees that have been on-boarded, ensuring that Wavemaker employees have taken up the Delve service and been able to locate the right content for their needs.
Employees across the world
Uses per month, by every employee
Employee adoption of OneDrive
By using AddIn365’s AddIn Work Hub product as a personalised front-end on to Office 365 and roll-out methodology, Wavemaker have been able to meet their business objectives of delivering:
- Operational consistency and standardisation of working practices across Wavemaker.
- Ensuring the application of best practice across the Wavemaker business; re-using knowledge to raise the customer service bar.
- Facilitating clear accountability by ensuring decisions are made ‘out loud’.
Working with AddIn365, Wavemaker are also meeting IT objectives of:
- Moving off file shares and in to OneDrive for Business.
- Getting a speedy return on investment in Office 365, by on-boarding employees quickly and in such a way that they adopt the Office 365 services for day to day work.
- Working with a technology partner – AddIn365 – that will evolve their products with Office 365 and manage support, device and browser compatibility for a great user experience on an ongoing basis.